Michael Gjedde-Nielsen advises public-sector companies, public authorities and private businesses on all aspects of construction law and procurement. He has been and is involved in several major building and construction projects in Denmark. Michael assists in the planning of calls for tenders and the drafting of the legal parts of tender documents, and he participates in the negotiation and conclusion of contracts in connection with building and construction projects and other procurement activities. In addition, Michael advises construction clients and construction companies on all legal issues relating to the construction stage.
Michael has conducted a range of major arbitration proceedings before the Danish Building and Construction Arbitration Board, including the biggest case ever heard by this board. Michael also has extensive experience as a litigator before the High Court and the Supreme Court in cases relating to construction law and procurement law. Michael has been involved in some of the largest cases before the Complaints Board for Public Procurement. Together with Hans Lykke Hansen, he has written the book entitled "ABR 89, General Conditions for Consulting Services" (3rd edition, 2013), and he is also the co-author of "ABR 18 With Commentary" (2020).
Michael speaks the Scandinavian languages and English.
Michael has advised clients on:
- Calls for tenders, conclusion of contracts and construction of Stages 1-3 of the Copenhagen Metro for Metroselskabet (contract value: around DKK 10 billions)
- Calls for tenders, conclusion of contracts and construction of the City Ring line for Metroselskabet (contract value: around DKK 22 billions)
- Calls for tenders and conclusion of contracts for ambulance services and patient transport for four of the five Danish regional authorities (contract value: around DKK 4 billions)
- Calls for tenders for the operation and maintenance of Stages 1-3 of the Copenhagen Metro for Metroselskabet (contract value: around DKK 2 billions)
- Calls for tenders for the Nordhavn Metro line project for Metroselskabet (contract value: around DKK 2.2 billions)
- Calls for tenders for the Sydhavn Metro line project for Metroselskabet (contract value: around DKK 9 billions)
- Calls for tenders for technical consultancy regarding a new university hospital in Køge for Region Zealand (total project value: around DKK 4 billions)
- Calls for tenders for architectural finishes on the City Ring project for Metroselskabet (contract value: around DKK 0.5 billion)
- Preparation of the future Odense Light Rail for the City of Odense (contract value: around DKK 2.6 billions)
- Contract negotiations regarding the construction of a high-rise building in the Carlsberg City District (contract value: around DKK 1,5 billion)
Michael has also assisted in a considerable number of court and arbitration proceedings, and among his most significant proceedings are:
- Arbitration proceedings regarding the final outstanding balances between Metroselskabet and Comet following the construction of Stages 1 and 2 of the Copenhagen Metro
- Arbitration proceedings regarding the final account for Stage 3 of the Copenhagen Metro
- Dispute review board case concerning the call for tenders for the City Ring linen (with Claus Berg)
- Arbitration proceedings regarding the final outstanding balances between Metroselskabet and CMT following the construction of the City Ring project
WHAT OTHERS SAY
"Michael Gjedde-Nielsen advises his clients on contract negotiations and disputes related to large construction projects. Clients praise him as "among the absolutely most experienced in construction law," and note that he provides "the best professional knowledge, dependable advice and support." (Chambers Europe, 2020)
"Michael Gjedde-Nielsen successfully represented Metroselskabet in Denmark's largest construction dispute." (Legal 500, 2013).
"He is 'the pre-eminent construction guy' according to an interviewee." (Chambers Europe, 2013).
"… absolutely brilliant, with huge knowledge and experience" (Chambers Europe, 2012)
Michael Gjedde-Nielsen is recommended as the "Leading Individual" by Chambers Europe in the categories Real Estate: Construction and Dispute Resolution and is also recommended in the Legal 500 categories real estate and construction, dispute resolution, and EU and competition.
EDUCATION AND CAREER
Attorney, VILTOFT, 2020-
Appointed mediator and conciliator in construction disputes by the Danish Building and Construction Arbitration Board, 2019-
Completed mediator training programme, 2006
Admitted to the Supreme Court, 1987
Partner, VILTOFT, 1982-2019
Admitted to the High Court, 1982
Admitted to the Danish Bar, 1980
Assistant attorney and attorney, VILTOFT, 1976-1982
Master of Laws (LL.M)., University of Copenhagen, 1976
Michael Gjedde-Nielsen was a tutor in the law of obligations at the University of Copenhagen from 1977 to 1981.
In addition, he has taught construction law and procurement law for many years for all significant providers of law courses. He also teaches in-house company courses.
Co-author (with Henrik Hauge Andersen et al.) of "ABR 18: General Conditions for Consulting Services", Karnov Group, 1st ed., 2021
Author of the article "Some remarks on ABR 18", Tidsskrift for Bolig- og Byggere (TBB) 2018.305
Co-author (with Hans Lykke Hansen) of "ABR 89: General Conditions for Consulting Services", Karnov Group, 3rd edition, 2013
Co-author (with Claus Berg) of "Company Formation in the Field of Waste Management" ("Selskabsdannelser på affaldsområdet"), KL's Forlag, 1990
Co-author (with Peter Fauerholdt Thommesen) of article about construction arbitration in Denmark in the light of the current revision of the standard form of contracts in Danish construction (AB92, ABT93 and ABR89), Tidsskrift for Bolig- og Byggeret (TBB) 2016.883
Member of the Forum for the Future of the Council of the Danish Bar and Law Society, 2003-2005.
Member of the working group of the Council of the Danish Bar and Law Society regarding public/private partnerships (PPP), 2005-2007.
Member of the Danish Society for Construction and Consulting Law, the Danish Association for Procurement Law, the Danish Association of Litigation Attorneys, the Danish Arbitration Association, the Association of Municipal and Administrative Law, the Danish Society of Insurance Law Danish Mediating Lawyers and the International Bar Association (IBA).