Michael Gjedde-Nielsen advises public-sector companies, public authorities and private businesses on all aspects of construction law and procurement. He has been and is involved in several major building and construction projects in Denmark. Michael assists in the planning of calls for tenders and the drafting of the legal parts of tender documents, and he participates in the negotiation and conclusion of contracts in connection with building and construction projects and other procurement activities. In addition, Michael advises construction clients and construction companies on all legal issues relating to the construction stage.
Michael has conducted a range of major arbitration proceedings before the Danish Building and Construction Arbitration Board, including the biggest case ever heard by this board. Michael also has extensive experience as a litigator before the High Court and the Supreme Court in cases relating to construction law and procurement law. Michael has been involved in some of the largest cases before the Complaints Board for Public Procurement. Together with Hans Lykke Hansen, he has written the book entitled "ABR 89, General Conditions for Consulting Services" (3rd edition, 2013).
Michael speaks the Scandinavian languages, English and German.
Michael has advised clients on:
- Calls for tenders, conclusion of contracts and construction of Stages 1-3 of the Copenhagen Metro for Metroselskabet (contract value: around DKK 10 billion)
- Calls for tenders, conclusion of contracts and construction of the City Ring line for Metroselskabet (contract value: around DKK 22 billion)
- Calls for tenders and conclusion of contracts for ambulance services and patient transport for four of the five Danish regional authorities (contract value: around DKK 4 billion)
- Calls for tenders for the operation and maintenance of Stages 1-3 of the Copenhagen Metro for Metroselskabet (contract value: around DKK 2 billion)
- Calls for tenders for the Nordhavn Metro line project for Metroselskabet (contract value: around DKK 2.2 billion)
- Calls for tenders for technical consultancy regarding a new university hospital in Køge for Region Zealand (total project value: around DKK 4 billion)
- Calls for tenders for architectural finishes on the City Ring project for Metroselskabet (contract value: around DKK 0.5 billion)
- Preparation of the future Odense Light Rail for the City of Odense (contract value: around DKK 2.6 billion)
Michael has also assisted in court and arbitration proceedings concerning matters including:
- Arbitration proceedings regarding the final outstanding balances between Metroselskabet and Comet following the construction of Stages 1 and 2 of the Copenhagen Metro
- Arbitration proceedings regarding the final account for Stage 3 of the Copenhagen Metro
- Dispute review board case concerning the call for tenders for the City Ring linen (with Claus Berg)
- Arbitration case concerning the final account for a hydroelectric power station in Greenland
WHAT OTHER SAY
"Michael Gjedde-Nielsen successfully represented Metroselskabet in Denmark's largest construction dispute." (Legal 500, 2013).
"He is 'the pre-eminent construction guy' according to an interviewee." (Chambers Europe, 2013).
"… absolutely brilliant, with huge knowledge and experience" (Chambers Europe, 2012)
Michael Gjedde-Nielsen is recommended as the "Leading Individual" by Chambers Europe in the categories Real Estate: Construction and Dispute Resolution and is also recommended in the Legal 500 categories real estate and construction, dispute resolution, and EU and competition:
EDUCATION AND CAREER
Completed mediator training programme, 2006
Admitted to the Supreme Court, 1987
Partner, VILTOFT, 1982
Admitted to the High Court, 1982
Admitted to the Danish Bar, 1980
Assistant attorney and attorney, VILTOFT, 1976-1982
Master of Laws (LL.M)., University of Copenhagen, 1976
Michael Gjedde-Nielsen was a tutor in the law of obligations at the University of Copenhagen from 1977 to 1981.
In addition, he has taught construction law and procurement law for many years for all significant providers of law courses. He also teaches in-house company courses.
Co-author (with Hans Lykke Hansen) of "ABR 89: General Conditions for Consulting Services", Karnov Group, 3rd edition, 2013.
Co-author (with Claus Berg) of "Company Formation in the Field of Waste Management" ("Selskabsdannelser på affaldsområdet"), KL's Forlag, 1990.
Co-author (with Peter Fauerholdt Thommesen) of article about construction arbitration in Denmark in the light of the current revision of the standard form of contracts in Danish construction (AB92, ABT93 and ABR89), Tidsskrift for Bolig- og Byggeret (TBB) 2016.883.
Member of the Forum for the Future of the Council of the Danish Bar and Law Society, 2003-2005.
Member of the working group of the Council of the Danish Bar and Law Society regarding public/private partnerships (PPP), 2005-2007.
Member of the Danish Society for Construction and Consulting Law, the Danish Association for Procurement Law, the Danish Arbitration Association, the Association of Municipal and Administrative Law, the Danish Society of Insurance Law Danish Mediating Lawyers and the International Bar Association (IBA).