Since the mid-1990s Henrik Hauge Andersen has primarily provided legal advice in the fields of construction and procurement law with a special focus on the building and construction industry. Henrik represents all types of parties in building and construction: mainly construction clients and consultants, but frequently also contractors. Henrik’s regular clients include a number of local authorities in Denmark, several social housing associations, architectural and engineering firms, a handful of small and large construction companies and several Danish insurance companies, which he advises on matters relating to construction contracts.
Henrik has extensive litigation and negotiation experience from several large-scale court and arbitration proceedings in the field of construction law, in particular proceedings relating to the Copenhagen Metro project. He has also conducted cases for local authorities and social housing associations and has provided legal advice in relation to major company headquarters development projects, insurance disputes and all aspects of the legal position of consultants. However, Henrik’s main focus is on swift, efficient dispute resolution through negotiation, including mediation and conciliation. Henrik also has a great deal of public law experience, especially in the fields of planning law, expropriation law and administrative law.
In Legal 500 it is stated that “... practice head Henrik Hauge Andersen is also highly skilled in construction disputes…”, and in Chambers Europe Henrik is highlighted for “… his increasing visibility in the market. A client reports that he has "an in-depth understanding of the construction industry, as well as the commercial aspects of the cases."
Together with Insight Events, Henrik has organised the leading conference on construction law, Legal Challenges in Building and Construction, since 2012. He is also a member of the board of the Danish Society for Construction and Consulting Law.
Henrik speaks the Scandinavian languages and English.
For construction clients:
- call for tenders, contracting and regular advice in relation to a new municipal administration centre in Vordingborg (public-private partnership)
- arbitration concerning cobblestone paving of a road in Stevns Municipality
- call for tenders, contracting and regular advice in relation to renovation of the Hoejbjerg Vaenge social housing estate in Herlev
- arbitration, expert appraisal and regular advice in relation to the Arctic Ring and the flamingo enclosure in Copenhagen Zoo
- litigation concerning public-sector client’s liability in connection with a fire in the Jyllingehallerne sports facility during municipal ESCO renovation
- assistance regarding the preparation of tender for the lead consultancy contract in relation to the construction of a new Storstroem Bridge
- negotiations on redesign, additional fees and the division of joint venture in relation to the New Odense University Hospital (OUH)
- fee negotiation in relation to extended construction period for a new acute care hospital in Goedstrup (DNV)
- arbitral proceedings concerning consultant liability in relation to the construction of a motorway around Silkeborg
- litigation and mediation concerning actionable errors committed by a Danish architectural firm in relation to the design of a school and a national swimming pool facility in Bergen, Norway
- arbitral proceedings concerning consultant liability in relation to Novo Nordisk headquarters settled during the exchange of pleadings
- expert appraisal concerning protection of an educational facility in the Nørrebro district of Copenhagen against torrential downpours
- regular advice to the cost-plus contractor in charge of the construction of a Facebook data centre in Odense, particularly concerning contracting and dispute resolution
- litigation on behalf of a lead contractor in a case concerning structural design errors in three building projects in Carlsberg City
- regular advice and preparation of final account for airside building at Copenhagen Airport, settled through negotiation
- arbitral proceedings concerning termination of surfacing contract in relation to commercial building project in Albertslund
WHAT OTHERS SAY
Chambers Europe has stated in their guide for 2020: "Henrik Hauge Andersen advises on large-scale construction projects, including disputes arising from insurance and negligence claims. Sources describe him as "very skilful and good to work with," and appreciate that he is "easy to get in contact with and works very fast."
Furthermore, Legal 500 has stated in their guide for 2020: "Michael Gjedde-Nielsen and Henrik Hauge Andersen jointly head the practice and possess expertise in contentious matters as well as in non-contentious construction aspects such as PPP urban development projects." In addition, a client has stated about Henrik: "Henrik Hauge Andersen is straightforward and precise in his advice."
EDUCATION AND CAREER
Partner, VILTOFT, 2009-
Attorney, VILTOFT, 2000-2009
Admitted to the Supreme Court, 2000
Attorney, Philip & Partnere, 1997-1999
Admitted to the High Court, 1995
Admitted to the Danish Bar, 1995
Assistant attorney and attorney, Kammeradvokaten, 1992-1996
Master of Laws (LL.M.), University of Copenhagen, 1992
Henrik teaches all subjects relating to construction law and procurement law for almost all key providers of law courses in Denmark: over the past three years for the Association of Danish Law Firms, the DJØF trade union for lawyers and economists, MOLIO Construction Information Centre, Advokaternes HR, JUC Law Training Centre, Insight Events and ADVOkurser (on-demand training). Henrik also offers customised courses to public authorities and private enterprises. He has held 40-50 separate courses/after-hours meetings on the new AB 18 general conditions for building and construction works and supplies since they were introduced in 2018.
Co-author (with Michael Gjedde-Nielsen et al.) of "ABR 18: General Conditions for Consulting Services", Karnov Group, 1st edition, 2021.
Author of article about procurement rules and the selection of construction client in social housing (Udbudsreglerne og valg af bygherre til alment nybyggeri) in Tidsskrift for Bolig og Byggeret 2004, page 287.
Member of the board of directors of the Danish Society for Construction and Consulting Law (since 2019)
Member of the Danish Association for Procurement Law