Peter Fauerholdt Thommesen advises public and private sector clients and technical consultants on all aspects of construction and public procurement. He assists in drafting and negotiating contracts and in designing and handling tenders for public works and other public contracts.
Litigation and arbitration is a particular area of expertise for Peter. He handles not only construction disputes and professional negligence disputes within technical consultancy, but also commercial and public law disputes. He is the co-author (with Jakob Juul) of the book Danish Arbitration ("Voldgiftsret") and a certified arbitrator. In 2013, he sat as a Temporary Judge at the High Court of Eastern Denmark. Since 2017, he has been member of the ICC Commission on Arbitration and ADR.
Peter also advises on real estate transactions and projects, including public-private urban development projects and other PPPs. He has extensive general commercial and corporate law experience.
He speaks the Scandinavian languages, English and French.
Peter has recently advised clients on matters such as:
- Advising technical consultants (architects and engineers) in general, including in relation to mega-hospital projects
- Drafting and tendering of contracts for lightrail projects in Odense and the Greater Copenhagen Area Area, contracts for infrastructure works in connection with the Copenhagen Metro and contracts for urban development PPP projects
- Establishing public-private urban and development companies and advising on sale of real estate
- Purchasing of purpose-built real estate by public authorities
- The sale of Kvæsthusmolen
- Tender of insurance services relating to a major construction project
- Tender of it development contract
He has also been involved in litigation and arbitration concerning:
- Fees and liability of technical consultants in relation to large public construction projects such as mega-hospital projects
- Professional negligence of technical consultants, attorneys and company directors
- Delay and additional claims of contractors in connection with the Copenhagen Metro project
- Delay and additional claims of contractors in connection with projects within the district heating sector
- All-risks insurance cover for construction defects in newly constructed commercial buildings and other insurance claims disputes
- Product liability in the building and construction industry
As arbitrator Peter Fauerholdt Thommesen has been appointed in shareholder disputes, partnership disputes, M&A real estate and insurance disputes as well as contractual disputes in a number of areas such as building and construction, IT and energy.
WHAT OTHER SAY
Peter Fauerholdt Thommesen is recommend as ‘Up & Coming’ by Chambers Europe 2019 within Real Estate: Construction and is mentioned in Legal 500 in the categories Real estate and construction and Dispute resolution. He is also nominated as a ‘Future Leader’ in arbitration in Who’s Who Legal: Arbitration 2019.
EDUCATION AND CAREER
Partner, VILTOFT, 2014
Temporary Judge, the High Court of Eastern Denmark, 2013
Certified arbitrator, the Association of Danish Law Firms, 2013
Admitted to the High Court, 2012
Attorney, VILTOFT, 2010-2013
Foreign intern, Essex Court Chambers (Toby Landau QC), London, 2008
Stagiaire, ICC International Court of Arbitration, Paris, 2008
LL.M., University of Cambridge, England, 2008
Admitted to the Danish Bar, 2007
Assistant attorney and attorney, Bruun & Hjejle, 2004-2010
Master of Laws (LL.M.), University of Copenhagen, 2004
Studies at New York University School of Law, USA, 2002
External lecturer in International Commercial Law (private international law and commercial arbitration), Copenhagen Business School, 2012-2017
External lecturer at the University of Copenhagen in European & International Commercial Law (2008-2013) and in the Willem C Vis International Commercial Arbitration Moot Competition (2010-2012), 2008-2013
Tutor in the Law of Obligations at the University of Copenhagen, 2004-2007
Peter also regularly teaches courses in commercial arbitration, construction, procurement and contracts for private course providers.
Co-author (with Jakob Juul) of Danish Arbitration ("Voldgiftsret"), Karnov Group, 1st edition 2003, 2nd edition 2008 and 3rd edition 2017. The book is regularly updated at Voldgiftsret.dk.
Co-author (with Michael Gjedde-Nielsen) of article about construction arbitration in Denmark in the light of the current revision of the standard form of contracts in Danish construction (AB92, ABT93 and ABR89), Tidsskrift for Bolig- og Byggeret (TBB) 2016.883.
In addition, he is author of articles on various topics in the field of commercial arbitration (Advokaten 2011, No 10, p. 20) and corporate law (Justitia 2005, No 2; with Simon Krogh).
Member, ICC Commission on Arbitration and ADR (since 2017)
Country reporter for Denmark, ITA Arbitration Report (since 2014)
Board member and co-founder of Young Arbitrators Copenhagen (YAC) (since 2013, chairman since 2017).
Member of the working group of the Danish Institute of Arbitration concerning dispute boards in construction and other long-running contracts (2013).
Member of the working group of the Association of Danish Law Firms about forms of remuneration (2013-2014).
Member of the Danish Society for Construction and Consulting Law, the Danish Association for Procurement Law, the Danish Arbitration Association, Young Arbitrators Stockholm (SCC) and the Young International Arbitration Group (LCIA).